Growing up in Knoxville, the three brothers who started Wood Realtors – Pat, Mike and Jerry – were raised on Cruze Road and attended Young High School in South Knoxville. Their father died when they were young, but their mother, Mable Wood, kept the family going as usual. All through high school they played football and the family remembers a continuous stream of friends was constantly welcomed at their home. The radio was always on and they would sit around the dining room table playing games.
Three Wood Brothers, Three Directions
After high school, the three brothers went their separate directions. Pat went to the University of Tennessee but before graduating, he was called to serve stateside in the Army in the 82nd American Airborne.
Mike went to Jones Junior College in Mississippi and then served in the Air Force for four years, including nearly one full year in Korea.
Jerry majored in finance at the University of Tennessee and after graduating served two years with the Army in Europe.
When Pat got out of the service, he started in the insurance business. Mike joined him when he returned from Korea. Jerry, who had intended to go into law school, changed his mind and joined his brothers.
The Business Begins
Each with equal one-third partnerships, the Wood brothers started in real estate and insurance in July 1956. Their mother even worked as the executive secretary.
- In 1958, the Woods went into home building.
- In 1959, they went into land development.
- In 1961, they entered general contracting and commercial developing.
- In 1967, their company was into building, owning and managing apartments.
The business continued to grow and they diversified into furniture, restaurant, and delicatessen and were half owners in storage companies. They also began to specialize in commercial development and apartment fields. They were even owners in United American Towers and Regency Square, originally built as the headquarters for City and County Bank.
Pat was in charge of management and development and served as the director of the United American Bank and was a life member of the South Knoxville Optimist Club.
Mike headed the real estate brokerage and appraisal. He served as president of the Tennessee Association of Realtors and was a certified appraiser. He was also a life member of the South Knoxville Optimist Club.
Jerry generally handled construction and served as a life director of the National Association of Home Builders and a commissioner of the Knox Chapman Utility District. Jerry was also a past president of the Alcoa-Way Optimist Club.
The Legacy Lives On
The legacy of the Wood Brothers is strong today in the hands of the current owners Mike and Ann, who are following in the footsteps of Pat, Mike and Jerry.