Several of our Wood Realtors agents specialize in older properties. If you have bought an historic home, then you’ll want to be inspired by the Historic Homes of Knoxville. Blount Mansion, Crescent Bend, James White’s Fort, Mabry-Hazen House, Marble Springs and Ramsey House are wonderful inspirational treasures. From log cabins to frame houses to stately stone mansions, these six Knoxville landmarks invite you into the past to experience the times and events that shaped them and the families who occupied them. Each is house is a chapter of history unto itself. And yet, together, they exemplify and celebrate the continuing pioneering spirit that created Knoxville and our great nation.
James White’s Fort
205 East Hill Avenue, Knoxville, TN 37915-2597
James White, The Founder of Knoxville, came here in the early 1780′s from North Carolina. He had fought in the Revolutionary War and was given a land grant of 1,000 acres for his service. He built his 2-story log house on the present site of Knoxville in 1786. Two years later he enclosed the house and other buildings with a stockade fence for protection from the wild animals. James White was a friend of the Cherokee. He negotiated several of their treaties with the settlers, and they came to his home in peace and to trade with him. The courtyard of the Fort was used as a stable for the domesticated animals such as horses, cows, pigs and sheep. The area around the Fort would have been cleared of trees, and the vegetable gardens along with tobacco would be grown there. James White laid off part of his land in October 1791 to establish a town which would become known as Knoxville, named for Henry Knox, president Washington’s Secretary of War.
200 W. HILL AVE, KNOXVILLE, TN 37902
President George Washington appointed William Blount to be Governor of the Territory of the United States South of the River Ohio. He governed from the home of William Cobb at Rocky Mount, until he concluded the Treaty of the Holston. Then he announced his territorial capital would move to Knoxville, a city that did not yet exist, and construction began on Blount Mansion in 1792.
The care in construction, and the size and shape of Blount Mansion reflects Blount’s position as a political figure, head of a prominent family, and influential businessman. The house was made of sawn lumber to meet Mary Blount’s requirement of “a proper wooden house.”
2614 Thorngrove Pike, Knoxville, TN 37914
Ramsey House was built in 1797 by Knoxville’s first builder, Thomas Hope, for Francis Alexander Ramsey. The home is constructed of Tennessee pink marble and blue limestone. It was known at that time as the finest home in Tennessee. The structure is significant for its original interior and exterior architectural features and its period decorative art collection.
The Ramsey Family was one of the first families to settle the Knoxville area. They played vital roles in developing civic, educational and cultural institutions. Colonel Francis A. Ramsey was one of the founding trustees of Blount College, now the University of Tennessee. One of his sons, Dr. J.G.M. Ramsey authored an early history of the state, The Annals of Tennessee. Another son, William B.A. Ramsey, was the first elected mayor of Knoxville and the Secretary of State for Tennessee.
The historic house was bought in 1952 by the A.P.T.A., along with one acre of land. Today, the site consists of 101.5 acres; a historic house restored and furnished to the period of Francis A. Ramsey’s occupancy (1797-1820) and a Visitor Center located in a beautiful country setting.
1220 West Governor John Sevier Highway, Knoxville, TN 37920
Marble Springs State Historic Site is the last remaining home of John Sevier. Born in Virginia in 1745, John Sevier made a name for himself as a Revolutionary War Hero during the Battle of Kings Mountain (1780), a key player & Governor of the short-lived State of Franklin (1784-1788), and ultimately was elected to serve as the first Governor of the State of Tennessee (1796).
Marble Springs was the approximate 350-acre farm that Sevier lived on from 1801-1815, the last years of his life. Structures include: the Tavern, Loom House, Smoke House, Spring House & the John Sevier Cabin and detached kitchen. Sevier named his farm Marble Springs because of the Tennessee Rose Marble that was quarried on site and the natural springs that flowed on the property.
2728 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919
Crescent Bend was built in 1834. Once the centerpiece of a working 600-acre farm, this exquisite historic home is filled with 18th century antique furniture, a collection of English silver from circa 1640 to 1820, and lovely decorative arts. Other features of the property include five magnificent fountains, nine beautiful terraces, and manicured formal Italian gardens.
1711 Dandridge Ave Knoxville, TN 37915
The Mabry-Hazen House Museum, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is located on six acres atop Mabry’s Hill. Built in 1858 and housing three generations of the same family from 1858-1987, the Mabry-Hazen House served as headquarters for both Union and Confederate forces during the Civil War. This stately, elegant home of the Victorian and Civil War periods showcases one of the largest original family collections in America. The Civil War, a gunfight on Gay Street in 1882, and a Breach of Promise lawsuit in the early 1930’s are only a few stories that bring life and color to those who visit the museum.